It’s about time you really clean up.
Story by Alison Caporimo
Link to original article: https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncaporimo/genius-laundry-tips-you-didnt-know-you-needed?utm_term=.qg5R5kOvv&utm_content=buffer090b1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.ueQKa08VV
1. Make your own nontoxic laundry detergent.
Do you have sensitive skin or an allergy to common detergent ingredients? Well, we got you covered, boo. Try making your own borax-free detergent using around-the-house items. Get the instructions from Homestead Bloggers Network.
2. Or DIY your own laundry detergent tabs.
Get the full how-to here.
3. Wash your socks in a lingerie bag and you’ll never be stranded with unmatched socks again.
Learn more about it from One Good Thing By Jillee.
4. Use a dry-erase marker to write reminders and special washing instructions on top of the washing machine or dryer.
Do you always forget to turn that shirt inside out before you wash it? Keep note of it on the machine lid and erase it when you’ve committed it to memory.
5. Are your towels feeling WAY less absorbent? Avoid fabric softeners and dryer sheets.
Fabric softeners and dryer sheets coat towel surfaces with a layer of chemicals that makes the fibers hydrophobic (aka they can’t absorb water).
6. To revive *scratchy* towels, wash them with vinegar.
Dilute the vinegar with a little water or wait until the water level is high enough to dilute it instantly; otherwise, it might discolor your towels. Learn more about this technique here.
7. Want to air-dry something without getting creases in it? Use a pool noodle.
Cut a pool noodle to fit the length of a clothesline or hanger. Then, cut a line down one side of the noodle and wedge it onto the line or wire. Learn more about it here.
8. Unshrink clothes with baby shampoo and a towel.
Did you shrink your fave crop top and now it’ll only fit your pug? WEEP. NO. MORE. Soak the shrunken piece of clothing in lukewarm water and baby shampoo, work through to relax the fibers, gently stretch, and lay flat to dry. Get the full tutorial here.
9. Wanna dry your sneakers without hearing them DIE A SLOW AND LOUD DEATH? Wedge knotted laces in the dryer door.
This. Will. Change. Your. Life.
11. If a colored item bleeds onto other clothes in the wash, DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE DRYER.
Rewash the stained articles immediately (without the bleeding item) to remove stains while they’re still fresh and easy to fix.
12. Got a few loads? Always start with your delicates.
Lightweight, more delicate items are less likely to shrink is you put them in a cold dryer versus one that’s been working for the past hour.
13. Frame a laundry cheat sheet and keep it in your laundry room so that you never forget the rules.
Find the perfect cheat sheet here.
14. Need a dryer ball stat? Ball up some aluminum foil instead.
Get soft and fluffy sheets and towels without wasting money on dryer sheets or searching frantically for a dryer ball. Bonus points: Aluminum reduces static, too. Learn more about it here.
15. And lastly, buy black and white laundry bins to make sorting with kids SUPER easy.
Colored clothing goes in the black bin and white items get dropping into the white bin. Sorting before you go to wash will cut your laundry time in half.